Saturday, May 15, 2010

1. The Beginning...My Blog!

A personal blog, an ongoing diary or commentary by an individual, is the traditional, most common type of blog. Personal bloggers usually take pride in their blog posts, even if their blog is never read. Blogs often become more than a way to just communicate; they become a way to reflect on life. Blogging can have a sentimental quality. Few personal blogs rise to fame in the mainstream, but some personal blogs quickly garner an extensive following. One type of personal blog, referred to as a microblog, is extremely detailed and seeks to capture a moment in time. This is what I am trying to do, capture a moment in time.

I am not an author, not even a wannabe author. Like most teenage girls, I kept a diary but that was the extent of my writing. In case you have not figured it out I DO NOT like writing; however, I was encouraged to start and keep a blog (thanks Jess). I thought this would be a good way to document my adventures as well as keep my friends and family up to date on my adventures.

Birthday - Merriam-Webster defines this word as the anniversary of the day we were born. I would define this day as...depressing. I have NEVER enjoyed my birthday, so as my 50th approached I found myself getting more and more depressed. A coworker/friend told me that for her 50th she decided to do/try 50 things she had never done/tried before, and she scrapbooked her adventures. Since I am an avid scrapbooker, I thought this was a wonderful idea (thanks Karla) and what a wonderful way to hopefully embrace such a milestone in my life.

This has become quite a quest. It has taken some real planning. More than a year before my 50th birthday, I began my "50" list. I had to search within myself to figure out what 50 new things I wanted to include on my list. After I started working on my list, I realized that this was going to be no easy feat, harder than I anticipated, so I recruited the help of my friends and family. After many months of compiling my list - adding, subtracting, refining - I am ready to begin my journey and I want to invite you, my friends and family, to come along for the ride with me. It is my plan to update this blog regularly throughout the next year so please check back frequently -- you do not want to miss a moment.

365 days, 50 new experiences/adventures, 1 girl, and many friends, that is where it all begins, and this is my story...

10 comments:

  1. I will be excited to follow you on your journey. Have fun!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tina, I can't wait to see how this turns out! I think it's a really awesome idea. Miss you! Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you decided to this. I look forward to all the fun reports of your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tina - what a great idea. If I am included in one of your adventures, that's great. If not, then I can vicariously participate via your blog. Good luck AND Happy Birthday!
    Fran

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to be part of your "adventure." This blog is a great idea to share and inspire others to enjoy life!

    It'll also make it all that much easier to journal your memories into your "50" album. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woo Hoo - let the fun begin!! I cannot wait! This is going to be YOUR year, Tina-I can totally feel it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very Cool! I am excited to hear all about your each adventure when acomplished. And I am looking forward to fulfill some of them whith you.

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait to hear how the year unfolds. Hang on for a great ride!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll be following......:)

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Happy Birthday this day Tina... Just came from morning worship, prayed specially for you to have the most wonderful year ever. I am thrilled to be able to join in the fun...Much loves,

    ReplyDelete

I'm on Strike!

In the past, when I drove by a picket line, I always thought it was all about the money. It wasn't until I was that person out on the pi...