Sunday, June 6, 2010

3. My 50th Birthday - Piercing, 6/5/10

Fifty years ago today, I arrived into this world. Just as the day we are born is special, I wanted today, my 50th birthday, to be just as special. When my day began at 6:15 A.M. with a phone call from an out-of-state friend (who lives in the midwest and is 3 hours ahead of us), I had no idea just how 'special' the day would be. There are few things in this life more special than receiving a bouquet of flowers, so I felt very blessed later in the day when I received not one but two bouquets. The day could not have been more perfect. I got to spend my birthday with both friends and family, it truly does not get much better than that.

When I decided some months ago that I wanted a piercing, there was only one thing I feared...the type of place you had to go to to have this done. I think we have all seen or heard about those salons/parlors that scare us, so I wanted to find the best possible place. After doing some research, I decided to go to a place called Addictions. Okay, I have to admit, I was a little apprehensive about going to a place called Addictions, but this year is about adventure and sometimes adventure means doing things that are a little uncomfortable.

My first adventure of the day was with my friend Melissa and her daughters, Megan and Jessica. Melissa, Megan, and I were having piercings, while Jessica was along to photograph the adventure for later documentation. My apprehension was soon put to rest as we were thoroughly briefed on the aftercare, procedure, and what we could expect. While everything was completely explained, and I felt comfortable, I decided that I would go first so I could not chicken out. I had my earlobes pierced twice when I was a teenager, but that was a LONG time ago, and I remember how much that hurt. I had always heard that the further up the ear you pierce, the more painful it was so I was expecting it to be quite painful. I have to admit, while it did hurt having the cartilage pierced, it did not hurt nearly as bad as I thought it would - at least then. The real pain came later that night when I went to bed. In preparation for sleeping, I did take some prescription pain medication. I prefer to sleep on my right side, but since it was the right side that I had pierced, I started the night by lying on my left side; however, multiple times throughout the night I found myself trying to roll over onto my right side and I was abruptly reminded not to do that as the pain was...I am at a loss for words to describe it...intense. Even with the aid of prescription pain medication, I did not get much sleep last night. I am certainly hoping tonight is better. We were told that it would take 6 to 12 months for total healing, and I am hoping that that does not mean 6 to 12 months of not being able to sleep on my right side because I am not sure I have enough drugs to last me that long.

The day was not over though, not even close. Later that night my family got together for a no-host birthday dinner. I have been part of the Foster family for more than 30 years, and I do not remember ever having had a dinner all together, both sides of the family. I was blessed to have Gary, Joshua, Jimmy, Don, Tim, Riley, Aleece, Ryan, Michelle, Sara, Sarah, Natalie, Jennifer, Alma, Judy, Alana, Jim, Daren, and Aunt Nancy there to celebrate. We had a great time eating, having birthday cake, celebrating, and, of course, presents, lots of presents. It truly was a special day!

1 comment:

I'm on Strike!

In the past, when I drove by a picket line, I always thought it was all about the money. It wasn't until I was that person out on the pi...