Sunday, July 25, 2010

11. Heirloom Roses, 7/24/10

It never ceases to amaze me that we can live somewhere for a very long time and not know about all the wonderful things there are to see, do, and experience practically in your own backyard.

Not far out of Woodburn in St. Paul is a place called Heirloom Roses. This week I went with Melissa and Linda out to see this place I had heard so much about. Heirloom Roses is located in Oregon's fertile Willamette Valley, one of the finest climates in the world for growing roses. Here, you will find 5 acres of themed Rose Gardens, with over 1500 varieties of roses. A couple of my favorites have to be The Hope Garden, by coincidence the first rose was planted in this garden on September 11, 2001, and The Tranquility Garden, a planting of white roses isolated by surrounding fir trees provides a quiet place to rest and reflect. As the weather was in the 90s on the day we went, we were unable to take in the full beauty of all the gardens. The gardens are open from dawn to dusk year round; however, the roses are in bloom late May thru October, with peak bloom in June. I cannot wait to go back next year and see them all in their full glory.

2 comments:

  1. I'm thinking that we need to get up early and get out there before the sun next time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful place, huh. I loved it there. Yes, June is the best month to go. The peachy rose you photographed looks like it could be Pat Austin. I have that one and really like it.

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete

I'm on Strike!

In the past, when I drove by a picket line, I always thought it was all about the money. It wasn't until I was that person out on the pi...