Monday, September 27, 2010

19. Ridgefield Wildlife Refuge, 9/25/10

As most of you know, I really like to take pictures of almost anything. I really enjoy shooting flowers, sunsets, nature, and landscapes. So, when Katrena suggested that we go to the Ridgefield Wildlife Refuge (RWR), I was up for the challenge. I knew that there would be some wonderful opportunities for some amazing nature shots; however, I was not prepared for the challenge of shooting wildlife. A lot of you laugh at my paparazzi lens for my camera, well, let me tell you, it was NOT BIG ENOUGH for shooting at the Refuge. While I was able to get a few decent shots, I did not get anything 'spectacular' because none of my lenses were big enough.

The RWR is an exciting place for all to explore and enjoy wildlife. Enjoy viewing wildlife while driving the 4.2 mile Auto Tour Route and use your vehicle as your personal observation spot on wheels. Wildlife viewing and photography from the road is excellent, allowing you to encounter wildlife with minimal disturbance. We were going to make this trek later in October but were fearful we would not have good weather so we opted to go this day, a day when it hit over 85. The sun was bright and the bugs were out, the combination of the two made it difficult to get good pictures. Two days later, as I sit here blogging, I have to take breaks to scratch at my numerous bites. Anywhere that was not covered by clothing is covered by bites; some of them are mosquito bites and others I am not so sure about. I will spare you the nasty details, but know it is very uncomfortable. I have since learned that when out walking at the Refuge, it is a wonderful idea to wear long pants and long-sleeved shirts, cover your skin. I have also learned that the best time to go to the Refuge is from October thru the spring, when the animals are migrating.

It was amazing driving through this refuge - as I drove I was struck by the beautifulness God has created. The sounds, smells, and visions are incredible. The beauty of God's creation - no words I can use seem adequate. I felt so much closer to God in this environment. I would encourage each of you to go out and experience the beauty of His creation, be it a wildlife refuge or outside your front door. I am already planning my next trip to the Refuge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm on Strike!

In the past, when I drove by a picket line, I always thought it was all about the money. It wasn't until I was that person out on the pi...