Sunday, October 24, 2010

22. The Fruit Loop, 10/23/10

How many of you have heard of the "Fruit Loop?" I had heard of the fruit loop but obviously had never been or it would not be on my "list." As people asked me about my next adventure and I told them, I was surprised...no...shocked at how many people had never heard of the fruit loop. For those of you who do not know, the Hood River Fruit Loop is a celebration of the rich agricultural bounty of the Hood River Valley. First established in 1992, the "Fruit Loop" as it is fondly known, first started as a way for orchardists to promote farm stands that featured primarily fresh apples and pears. While the region is still prized for its fruit orchards, the Fruit Loop has changed over the years to reflect the diversity of agriculture in the region. Visitors who explore this scenic valley and visit its 30+ ag businesses can still pick apples fresh from the tree and sample different varieties of pears and cherries. They can also enjoy touring vineyards and wineries, nut and berry farms, lavender fields, and even alpaca farms. Whether you live in the area or are visiting from afar, you will feel right at home when you sample all the Hood River County Fruit Loop as to offer.

As Jess and I began our road trip heading East toward Hood River, we were truly blessed as the weather forecast was not sounding promising; however, we did not get rained on at all while on our adventure. We began our adventure with map in hand with the "best" places marked off for visiting. We found most of the stops on our list, but what road trip would be complete without a few missed stops and a few extras as well.



The "best" food was by far was at stop #23, Apple Valley Country Store & Bakery. We had an awesome pulled pork sandwich, pear coleslaw, and cider baked beans. I also had fresh biscuits served with hot, fresh apple butter while Jess enjoyed a pumpkin milkshake. The "best" place to pick/buy apples/pears is stop #17, AKA, Kiyokawa Family Orchards & Fruit Stand. They had an absolutely wonderful selection of apples, pears, squash, and anything else you would want (except carmeled apples, so sorry Jess).

I believe we found the "best" fresh cider, a lovely blend of two different types of apples, at Cody Orchards Farm Stand, stop #11. It is here where I also saw Lady Apples for the first time. They are the cutest, smallest apples you will ever see. I also had a carmel apple made from Lady Apples, it was so YUMMY!




The "best" bakery would have to be stop #14, The Apple Cider Overboard Packer Orchards and Cookie Stop Bakery (that is a mouthful). They had a HUGE assortment of cookies including black & white, macroons, double chocolate chip, white lemon, and pumpkin chocolate chip, to name just a few. Now that I have discovered the Fruit Loop, you can bet I will make it an annual event. This is truly one of Oregon's best kept secrets.

2 comments:

  1. Your blog makes be want to go again :) It has been several years since my sister asked, "Do you want to go to the fruitloop?" I had no idea what she was talking about, and wondered if she had turned into a fruitloop :) I loved it! It is definitely something I will want to do again. Thanks for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yahoo for the fruitloop & the apples & the pumpkin milkshakes & you, my friend, for letting me be a part of it!

    ReplyDelete

I'm on Strike!

In the past, when I drove by a picket line, I always thought it was all about the money. It wasn't until I was that person out on the pi...