Saturday, June 4, 2011

49. My tattoo, 6/4/11

Tattoos are not a new fad or fashion – people have been getting tattoos for thousands of years. While approximately one quarter of Americans have at least one tattoo, many Americans disapprove of the art form.

Finding the right tattoo is a very personal choice. When choosing a tattoo style or image, it is important to consider the reason that you are getting the tattoo in the first place. Whether your reasons are for self-expression, inclusion in a group, or paying homage to someone else, you need to think very carefully about the tattoo before you have it permanently attached to your body.

A recent study found that 17% of people with tattoos want to have them removed – if you choose the right tattoo in the first place, you can hopefully avoid being a part of this small percentage of people. Make the tattoo something that you can personally relate to. Often, the best tattoos will invoke a strong emotional response from the wearer. For example, don’t pick a flower just because it looks pretty, but instead choose something that means something deeper to you. Don’t ever get a tattoo that you are not 100% sure that you will love – regardless of what your friends and family will tell you. You are the person who has to live with the tattoo for the rest of your life, so listen to yourself when making such an important decision

Traditionally, tattoos were hand-drawn, but in 1891, the electric tattooing machine was invented. In modern history, the Christian religion has changed the perception of the tattoo, thus making it less common than it used to be. Today, the majority of the tattoos are done for cosmetic or spiritual purposes,

Often, the decision to get a tattoo is driven by the desire to express something about yourself to the world. Whether you want to express a certain personality trait, express your love for a particular person, or express your belief in a certain ideology, a tattoo is a common method of self-expression. When expressing yourself to the world through a tattoo, choose a design that speaks to you, one that evokes an emotional response when you see it. Even if the particular design does not always mean the same thing to someone else, it can be your form of self-expression.

Often, in order to fully express yourself through tattoo art, many people recommend that you develop an original tattoo design with your tattoo artist’s help. Having an original design will help set you apart from the crowd and make your tattoo unique to you (and what better way to express your unique perspective than with a unique tattoo). Even if you are not a great artist, the tattoo artist can take your ideas along with a standard tattoo and create something truly special for you. While I was not sure exactly what I wanted, I knew that I wanted something that spoke of who I am and what I believe. I spent many, many hours looking for the “right” tattoo. I finally found something I really loved and with the help of Rose at Pussycat Tattoo, we tweaked it and made it personal to me. I have to say, Pussycat Tattoos rock!!!

1 comment:

  1. Woo hoo!! I am so glad to have been a part of this adventure with you!! And I love the "ink"...

    ReplyDelete

I'm on Strike!

In the past, when I drove by a picket line, I always thought it was all about the money. It wasn't until I was that person out on the pi...