Saturday, January 4, 2014

Goodbye 2013...Hello 2014

As another New Year begins, people again make plans to better themselves. The whole idea of one year ending and another beginning - between the fun parties with friends, countdowns, sparkles, and the feeling of fresh newness that January 1st brings, it's the perfect end to the holiday season and to reflect on the past year as well as the incoming year.

2013 was an exciting and busy year for me: I took a family vacation to Tennessee, bought a new car, furthered my education, and finished my goal of doing one 5K a month to name just a few. I wouldn't change a thing, but I have to admit that the year has left me exhausted! I am hoping that 2014 will get me even further on my journey toward balance.

I don't really make resolutions for the new year, but I like to set goals and write them down somewhere to hold myself accountable (what better place to do that than here on my blog), and you can help! In 2014, my goals are to get healthier, both spiritually and physically.

Every year people reflect on how quickly the year passed, how many things we could have done but didn't, how much happier our life might be if we had done a few things differently. The way we approach the passing of the year offers a glimpse to what lies ahead. Eventually, our life will end. If we knew we only had a little bit of time left, we might drastically alter our life and finish it in a more fulfilling manner, but think for a second, how many stop in August to think, "My goodness, the year is slipping away and there were so many goals I set that I haven't focused on. Let me focus on them now" Instead, the end of the year has come and gone. Many, realizing another opportunity is upon them, will repeat the pattern they have done for years, setting goals for change they may or may not accomplish.  

This year I want to focus on what is more important in life, not sweating the small stuff, as the saying goes. Simply put, beginning this New Year, while looking at the year passing and the promise of a new one, I want to remember how this mirrors life. I want to realize how in a future that seems distant now, but when confronted with it will seem as if time flew by, I will be faced with death. Face your inevitable death now, and use the knowledge to live the life you want to live.

So, my two goals for 2014—First, spiritually, I want to be a person where Jesus' grace and joy are evident in my life, where the fruit of the spirit is lived out, and to have my heart broken by the things that break His heart. Second, physically, I want to hike. I am inspired by the book, 60 Hikes within 60 miles of Portland.  NO, I will not be doing 60 hikes but rather 12 hikes in 12 months. Anybody want to go hiking with me???

So, as 2013 ends and 2014 begins, I have a vision in my mind and heart that I live with purpose.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice Tina! I was always impressed by Stephen Covey's book and the chapter on "live with the end in mind." Let's go hiking!

    ReplyDelete

I'm on Strike!

In the past, when I drove by a picket line, I always thought it was all about the money. It wasn't until I was that person out on the pi...