Saturday, January 25, 2014

Hike #2 - Drift Creek Falls

We were not sure what laid in front of us as we decided to go hiking on a beautiful sunny January afternoon in the Oregon woods.  As we approached the trailhead, we really did not expect to find many cars.  We were really surprised to find the parking lot almost full. We got out of the car, grabbed our cameras, phones, water, and began to descend into the forest. We were maybe a quarter of a mile into our hike when we came upon our first photo op.  I wear my camera slung across my chest, resting upon my hip.  I grabbed my camera, flipped on the switch, and began to focus.  Imagine my surprise when I look into the viewer and see a black screen with large letters saying NO CARD.  Yep, I had taken the memory card out to transfer the earlier pictures to my computer and forgot to put in another.  So, valuable lesson learned, always, and I mean always check your camera to make sure your camera has a memory card in before you begin your adventure.  Thankfully, I had already been here and had pictures; however, my iPhone also took some decent pictures.

As the crow flies, Katrena and I were only eight miles from Lincoln City on the western slopes of the Coastal Mountains. The trail was less than four miles round trip with about 550 feet of elevation gain and very well maintained.

This hike offers something for everyone, a waterfall, a huge suspension bridge, and a nice view of Coast Range forest. The trail is wide and well maintained. The only flaw may be that it's elevation backwards; you have a nice stroll down, then you need to climb back out.

The trail is timbered in 50 year old regrowth, but there's a nearby clear cut, visible through the trees. Continuing down the main trail, you'll again round a ridge and start heading down to a larger stream. You'll hear the water as you descend.

We stood on a 150-foot suspension bridge, swaying slightly in the breeze. It gave us an incredible up-close view of Drift Creek Falls. It was exploding out of a high slot in a basalt cliff, dropping 100 feet to the rocks below. The dramatic crashing of the water in the midst of a old-growth rainforest stirred a deep sense of true wilderness.

This 3-1/2 mile forest path took us on a tour through a thick coastal forest and across a magnificent suspension bridge over Drift Creek. From the bridge, we had a grand view of the shimmering cascade of Drift Creek Falls.

This suspension bridge kind of sneaks up on you. You crest a small knoll and suddenly you've arrived at one of the most interesting locations in the coast range. The creek we had been following suddenly plunges 75 feet into the Drift Creek Canyon and the trail stays level, spanning the 100 foot deep canyon by hanging from cables. It really has to be seen to be appreciated. The trail continues down to the bottom of the falls, but beyond the end of the bridge.

The suspension bridge was built between 1993 and 1997 and is 240 feet long, 3 feet wide, and 100 feet above the canyon floor. The falls are 73 feet high.

1 comment:

  1. Great Blog!... really liked the pics you picked for it too :) Thank you for yet another adventure!

    ReplyDelete

I'm on Strike!

In the past, when I drove by a picket line, I always thought it was all about the money. It wasn't until I was that person out on the pi...