Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Nicaragua, dia seis

Monday, July 28, 2014

After I blogged last night, I went to Jessica's blog (http://jessieinnica.tumblr.com/) as she too is blogging her adventure while here. I was deeply moved by what she wrote, her insight. She may be young, but she has had some moments beyond her years. She summed up her feelings, as well as mine very well, and we all know that imitation is the best form of flattery so I stole a few of her words: I feel a fire, a passion, burning in me that I have not felt in a long time. I want to and will learn Spanish before I come back, hopefully, next year to reconnect with the people here. I love our sister church, La Iglesia de Comunidad. I love what God is doing in my heart. The only thing holding me back from really experiencing Nicaragua to its fullest is my inability to speak Spanish. 

Sadly, today is my last day in Leon, Nicaragua. I thought I had all day Monday, but I only have a few more hours left here as it is a long drive to Managua and we have to find a motel, etc., before a very early morning and long day, so we had breakfast before the group arrived and then off to the coffee shop for our usual morning caffeine and talk about what we have seen and experienced while here. Some of my thoughts and writings may be a bit unorganized, a jumble, it is kind of how I am feeling today. If my forgetfulness this trip has been any indication, here is just another example of it...I walked out of the coffee shop and left my camera sitting on the table. Gracias Dios, I was NOT the last person in our group to leave the coffee shop. I was so happy to see Pastor Jesse walk out with my camera in hand. Seriously, as soon as I get home, I have to go and get a new strap so I can wear that camera again.

Today is an emotional day, the feelings are overwhelming. "What am I/we doing here?" "What can I/we do?" As you have heard me say, "I cannot change Nicaragua, but God can change me!" The church in Nicaragua needs to be a light (just like at home). If Leon's church is successful, they will attract others in. "Will I experience church differently in Woodburn since I have been in Nicaragua? Will my worship be changed after this experience?"

Jesse spoke about dreaming, how important it is to dream and to dream big,  We talked about many tangible ways we could help the Nicaraguans; the specialized teams that could come in the future, the many different projects we could implement, etc. Jesse and Paul came to check out business opportunities as well as internship possibilities for the locals. Hannah came to teach English to the teachers. Juan came 2 years ago and had already established relationships with many in the community as well as church members and was able to pick right up with those upon his return. Lisa, Brianna, and Jessica came to serve others in several different ministries. Isaac came to photograph the experience and to make a website for the church. From the get go, I kind of felt like I had no purpose on this trip. I struggled to find "my place on the team." I felt like I did not fit in - this in no way was a reflection on the team, as they did not make me feel that way, but I knew since I was coming home after only 5 days there I felt I had no real purpose. I may not have been there to serve in a specific ministry, but I feel this was a good experience for me. I feel something stirring in me that I have not felt before.

Speaking of dreaming, La Iglesia de Comunidad has a wide variety of attendees; one of which is a doctor who has a dream. Reynaldo (the doctor) has a dream of a medical clinic first run out of the church and then taken into the smaller communities just out of reach of town, who have no means of transportation to get into town. There are many opportunities of serving, dreaming, and it all flows from the church. I suspect us at Mid Valley will be hearing about those opportunities as Jesse and the rest of the team reflect on what we all saw and and experienced in Central America, and we all want to be a global church. 

We then headed out for one last 'adventure.' Pedro and Jesse took us for a walk to the open market. Wow, that was an experience. It was in the 90s and 50% humidity and the market, while called an open market, is a ton of booths in a huge building that was so hot and not technically open at all. They cut up meat and fish in the booths, no refrigerators, no ice, just salt to preserve it. Yuck! There was a woman that was pacing through one area screaming loudly. Pedro said she had mental health issues, and they do not have any facilities there for people to go for help. Lisa and Brianna tried mamoncillos, a Spanish lime. The faces they made were...priceless. Some of the fruit was so ripe, I doubt anybody would buy it.









On our way back to the hotel, there was time for one more lesson. We saw some murals on the walls outside of El Sesteo. Augusto César Sandino was a leader of the resistance to the US military occupation of Nicaragua in the 1920s and 1930s.  He was assassinated in 1934 by the US-supported Guardia Nacional, the national police force of the Somoza dictatorship.The Sandinistas took his name in the 1960s. At that time, the US government was still backing the Somoza dictatorship and, later, the US supplied the Contras (the counter-revolutionary forces composed mostly of the Guardia Nacional).  In July 1979, the dictatorship of Anastasio Somoza was overthrown through violent civil strife. The Sandinista National Liberation Front (FSLN) had played a major rile in defeating oppression. Sandino’s image became a symbol of the Sandinista movement and, as such, was banned during the later Somoza years. In the first image, Sandino is stepping on Anastasio Somoza.  The mural was restored in 1993, and the banner currently reads “Sandino Vive” (Sandino lives). This mural was originally done in 1983 by a US muralist, Mike Alewitz.  He describes himself as a Marxist agitprop artist, and his work focuses primarily on labor issues.  I am surprised and totally fascinated that the Sandinista government commissioned a US artist to create this mural. 

It was now time to say good-bye. I really was not ready to go, I wanted to see more, to experience more, to help more, but it was time to go. I am jealous that the others get to stay and I have to go, that they get to stay and serve others, get to experience a whole new level of Nicaragua. After hugs all around, Pedro drove Jesse, Paul, Isaac, and me to Managua. During our long drive, we talked with Pedro about ministry opportunities in the future. We also learned more history about Nicaragua. Outside of Managua is an absolutely massive fresh water lake; however, the whole thing is polluted and cannot be used at all. So sad, especially since there are many crops along the countryside that are dying because of drought. It has been almost a year since the area of Leon has had any significant rainfall. The hotel where Jesse wanted to stay did not have enough rooms, and I was bummed. There was a bird sanctuary out front that had HUGE parrots that I was looking forward to shooting and hopefully having my picture done with. Oh well, we went down the road a bit and stayed right across from the airport at the Best Western. 

I pray that the first, the passion I feel right now does not die. I understand after a trip like this many times there is a fire, a passion, and I suppose it is normal that those feelings would subside some in time, but I pray that I do not forget the feelings I am having right now. It can be truly amazing what God can do if we step out of His way and let Him lead us. I really had NO idea God would change my heart on this trip, but He did. I honestly believed I would just go and take in the culture and take pictures, many pictures, but I really had no idea that I would fall in love with Leon and the people and want to come back.










2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your honesty of your feelings and how God has changed your heart. I felt the same way last year when I went down to a mission in Chichigalpa. I did find a way to be useful, in speaking with a couple women with a young man who was my interpreter. Living a few days in Nica has opened my eyes as well to what God has for my heart. And what He wants me to share in Woodburn as well. We can make a difference wherever we are. Glad you are home. See you soon Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becky...as you well know, it is an amazing thing that happens to you when you are in a third world country. It was an experience that I hope I never forget.

      Delete

I'm on Strike!

In the past, when I drove by a picket line, I always thought it was all about the money. It wasn't until I was that person out on the pi...