Monday, January 2, 2017

My Life Verse Is.../My Word is...

Hebrews 13:5 - New King James Version (NKJV): Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”

Adam was in paradise, yet not content; some angels in heaven were not content; but the apostle Paul, though humble and empty, had learned in every state, in any state, to be content. Christians have reason to be content with their present lot. This promise contains the sum and substance of all the promises; "I will never, no, never leave thee, no, never forsake thee." In the original, there are no less than five negatives put together, to confirm the promise: the true believer shall have the gracious presence of God with him, in life, at death, and for ever. Be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."

I feel this verse isn't saying that one should never be ambitious about earning more money. The point is not about trying to either earn a living or even about financially doing well in life. The point is about contentment. It is a human desire to want more. In fact, most advertising is based on the fact that people are never satisfied with what we already have. This verse is also not saying that one has to take a vow of poverty to be a good Christian. The issue is about contentment in life. How do we be content with what we have? It starts by letting go of jealousy. That is why the 10th Commandment is to not desire our neighbor's "stuff". The idea is to learn to have contentment in life while still being ambitious to accomplish our goals. One can go through life either thinking, I need more to be happy, or I can learn to be content with what I have. There is nothing wrong with being ambitious or trying to earn more. The challenge in life is to say, What if I do not make any more, can I still be happy with what I currently have?

I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee - These words were spoken to Joshua in Joshua 1:5: "As I was with Moses, so will I be with thee; I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee." They were spoken also by David to Solomon in 1 Chronicles 28:20: "David said to Solomon his son, Be strong and of good courage, and do it: fear not, nor be dismayed; for the Lord God, even my God, will be with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee." There are no less than five negatives in this short sentence, and these connected with two verbs and one pronoun twice repeated. To give a literal translation is scarcely possible; it would run in this way: "No, I will not leave thee; no, neither will I not utterly forsake thee." Those who understand the genius of the Greek language, and look at the manner in which these negatives are placed in the sentence, will perceive at once how much the meaning is strengthened by them, and to what an emphatic and energetic affirmative they amount.

This promise is made to those who are patiently bearing affliction or persecution for Christ's sake; and may be applied to any faithful soul in affliction, temptation, or adversity of any kind. Trust in the Lord with thy whole heart, and never lean on your own understanding; for he has said, "No, I will never leave you or forsake you.” 

Indeed, God has NEVER left me or forsaken me!

 


Truth, like knowledge, is surprisingly difficult to define. I am not going to define truth, I am just going to say that my year was based on honesty and genuineness. New hope arose and made me very happy. This word guided me through 2016! It supported me in my daily struggles and situations that at times appeared hopeless. This word always showed me the silver lining so that I do not ever need to worry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm on Strike!

In the past, when I drove by a picket line, I always thought it was all about the money. It wasn't until I was that person out on the pi...