Tuesday, December 31, 2019

My 2020 Word Is...

9 out of 10 people will fail with their resolutions.

 

50% of resolution makers will fail by the end of January.

 

But One Word sticks!

 

That's why this year I have decided not to make a New Year's resolution and have decided to pick one word for the upcoming year. No resolutions, no goals... just one word that gives meaning, mission, passion and purpose. One word that will help me be my best.

This blog started 10 years ago with 50 things in my 50th year and has continued with twelve 5Ks in 12 months, 12 books in a year, multiple resolutions and goals, etc., because I wanted this blog to be a journal of sorts that had some meaning.

This January rather than choosing goals to focus on, I am choosing a word, one word to live by. Last year was the first year I chose a word, but I also chose goals. This year, I am going to just focus on a word. While it does not replace specific goals in my life, a word kind of becomes a mantra for me. I love the intention it sets and the positivity it generates to kick off the next 12 months. It helps me focus and remember what I am working on. 
 
My 2019 word was a good summary of what I wanted to see happen, and I love how it followed me into spring, summary, and fall, and fit even as life changed dramatically. 
 
How do you narrow down a word of the year? How do you summarize your hopes, goals, and plans in one word?

To make it work well, it cannot be a quick decision. It's a process that involves personal reflection and planning for me. I had been meditating and praying about it, and then the last Sunday of 2019 as I was sitting in church, Pastor Jesse was teaching and several times during the sermon Pastor Jesse talked about being authentic and I knew what my word was going to be. 
 
This year my word is … Authentic.

I love this quote - “To be authentic, we must cultivate the courage to be imperfect – and vulnerable. We have to believe that we are fundamentally worthy of love and acceptance, just as we are. I've learned that there is nop better way to invite more grace, gratitude, and joy into our lives than by mindfully practicing authenticity.” – Brene Brown

Authenticity itself is hard to define.

To become more authentic and seek this out in others, we first need to be open-minded. We attract the people and things we want in life when we are open-minded and receptive. This often leads to opportunities and new ways of thinking that expand our minds and bring us ideas that add value to our lives. 

Authentic people are high-character individuals who don't just "talk the talk," they also "walk the walk," which means they back up their positive, empowering words with actions that benefit themselves and others. Be true to yourself and do what you say you are going to do. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm on Strike!

In the past, when I drove by a picket line, I always thought it was all about the money. It wasn't until I was that person out on the pi...