Sunday, January 8, 2023

Bittersweet

 

Five Christmases ago, my sweet nephew, Travis, gave me this basket with chocolate, wine, and yarn (he knew me well). One month later, he tragically left this earth and is no longer with us. As many of you know, that was a devastatingly difficult time in the lives of those who loved him.


This basket has sat in my bedroom every day for the past 5 years. Every night when I go to bed, I see it, I think of Travis, and I contemplate what to make with it. Yet, for 5 years, I haven't been able to make myself crochet something with it. I am not sure why, but I just couldn't. Then, about a week ago, it came to me, a basket. I think he would love it.


Crocheting this basket was so healing for me. As I worked on it, I prayed for those who loved Travis, his parents, his siblings, his aunts and uncles, and even his friends. As life has continued to carry on, we have all had to blaze a path without him and move through life realizing the depths of depression and suicide and how it affects all those involved. Speaking from experience of losing several loved ones, the grief of losing a loved one to suicide is a unique type of grief.



Please know that you are loved and cared for by those around you.
If you are feeling suicidal, please call
“988” is the three-digit, nationwide phone number to connect directly to the 988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline. By calling or texting 988, you’ll connect with mental health professionals with the 988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline, formerly known as the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline.

1 comment:

  1. The basket 🧺 is beautiful. I remember when you told us about Travis 5 years ago. I'm sure it's not too good to go through in life. You realized to do crochet that he gave you. My memories of losing a grandchild before months before birth 2019 comes into mind once I awhile. I never got hold her or see her smile. But I know where she is and see her in heaven. God bless you my friend.

    ReplyDelete

I'm on Strike!

In the past, when I drove by a picket line, I always thought it was all about the money. It wasn't until I was that person out on the pi...