Wednesday, December 15, 2010

26. Powell's Bookstore, 12/14/10

Powell's, the nation's largest independent bookseller, is a must-see that engulfs an entire city block. Powell's City of Books is a book lover's paradise, the largest used and new bookstore in the world. The store stocks more than a million new and used books. Nine color coded rooms house over 3,500 different sections, offering something for every interest, including an incredible selection of out-of-print and hard-to-find titles. The City's Rare Book Room gathers autographed first editions and other collectible volumes for readers in search of a one-of-a-kind treasure.

Every day at the buyers' counter in the Orange Room, they purchase thousands of used books from the public. Powell's purchases special collections, libraries, and bookstore inventories as well.



A few facts about the City of Books:
• 68,000 square feet packed with books.
• They buy 3,000 used books over the counter every day.
• Approximately 3,000 people walk in and buy something every day.
• Another 3,000 people just browse and drink coffee.
• They stock 122 major subject areas and more than 3,500 subsections.
• You'll find more than 1,000,000 volumes on the shelves.
• Approximately 80,000 book lovers browse the City's shelves every day in Portland and via the Internet.

The Washington Post called Powell's "perhaps the best bookstore in the world."

Wow, what can I saw about Powell's that has not already been said? Those of you who have been to Powell's before know what I am talking about and for those of you who have not been there, I say that you should go. I never before could understand what someone meant when the said they could spend ALL day at Powell's. Dang, I think I could spend a week there and still NOT see all that Powell's has to offer. Thank you Fran for introducing me to this wonderful place.

1 comment:

I'm on Strike!

In the past, when I drove by a picket line, I always thought it was all about the money. It wasn't until I was that person out on the pi...