Friday, December 31, 2010

27. My Personal Mission Statement, 12/31/10

Good-bye 2010 and Hello 2011—
When I chose to compile a list of 50 things in my 50th year, I wanted to create a personal mission statement. Some might ask, “Why write a personal mission statement?” While I knew why I wanted to create a statement, I could not clearly articulate it so I searched the internet, and this is what I came up with: Developing a personal mission statement would help me discover and clarify my deeply important character values and life goals. A personal mission statement should be a representation of what is most important to me, what I desire to focus on, what I want to achieve, and, ultimately, who I want to become. In its purest form, it is an approach to life, one that allows me to identify a focus of energy, creativity, and vision in living a life in support of my innermost beliefs and values.

Also, remember that your mission will change over time as you and your life changes. A great personal mission statement is one that inspires you, motivates you, and offers you the opportunity for continued happiness and fulfillment.

Most of us make personal, one sentence resolutions like, “I want to lose weight” or “I vow to go back to school.” It is a tradition to start the New Year with things you want to achieve, but resolutions are often unrealistic. I would challenge each of you to write a personal mission statement rather than make a New Year’s Resolution. A personal statement will help you identify your core values and beliefs that you can read anytime and anywhere to stay on task toward your goals. A personal mission statement will make sure that you will not lose sight of what is most important to you. It is an ideal tradition to start so that when next year rolls around, the outdated practice of resolutions will be something you permanently left in 2010.

MY MISSION IN LIFE IS:

To serve God by being A beacon of light, A bridge of understanding, and A tower of integrity.

To remember where I have been and where I am going, maintaining positive relationships with family and friends.

To forgive but not forget so as to learn from each experience.

To content myself in my surroundings so I will always know where security lies within my life.

To grow stronger with each accomplishment and even stronger with each setback.

To be part of God’s plan of what He is doing on earth, and to bring Him Glory by being humble and serving others.

To be guided by my values and beliefs.

To find my inner strength and overcome obstacles that hide my goals.

To look for strengths in others, and the good in every situation.

To live life with an attitude of gratitude.

To believe everything happens for a reason, and there is no better place to be than right here, right now where God has placed me.

To live, work, and play with a renewed spirit.

To treat others with the same respect that I myself deserve.

To give thanks in some measurable way each day.

To live each day to the fullest.

To believe in God, and let God guide me.

To enjoy every moment along this journey finding laughter, love, and happiness with each day that passes.

So, as I say good-bye to 2010, I have some fond memories; however, as I welcome 2011, I am looking forward to the possibilities and promise of a new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm on Strike!

In the past, when I drove by a picket line, I always thought it was all about the money. It wasn't until I was that person out on the pi...