Saturday, April 30, 2011

44. OMSI, 4/30/11

My kids do not believe that I have never been to OMSI (Oregon Museum of Science and Industry) since apparently everybody has been there, but if I have been there I must have Alzheimer’s as the place is pretty unforgettable, and I am pretty sure I would remember this place.

OMSI puts the wow in science for the kid in each of us. You too can explore a world of hands-on fun! With more than 200 interactive exhibits for all ages, five unique halls, eight hands-on science labs, an OMNIMAX Theater, an authentic submarine, and a state-of-the-art art planetarium, there is something for everyone.

I can see why kids would love this place…there is a lot to do that would hold their attention, a lot of hands-on activities for them to engage in. Two of the exhibits that were of most interest to me was Ancient Egypt and Beginning the Journey.

Lost Egypt: Ancient Secrets, Modern Science illuminates this remarkable civilization as never before, by focusing on an area that is often overlooked in comparison with the grandeur of the pyramids: The lives of the ordinary people who built them.

We got to meet “Annie” (short for “anonymous”), an unidentified girl whose body was pulled from the Nile River and mummified. Scientists do not know the cause of her death, and it is still a mystery why an unknown girl would get a mummified burial.

The other exhibit that I found interesting was “Beginning the Journey.” OMSI has one of the largest displays of human fetuses open to the public. I was able to examine the different stages of human fetal development during all nine months of pregnancy. It was amazing to see and read about fetuses and how much they can change and grow even in the short time of a week or two. Maybe this exhibit held a special interest to me because my daughter-in-law and son are having a baby.

There would be more pictures, except they do not allow photography. Thanks Keri for opening my eyes to a whole new world…it was a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm on Strike!

In the past, when I drove by a picket line, I always thought it was all about the money. It wasn't until I was that person out on the pi...