Saturday, May 14, 2011

45. Bluegrass From the Forest, 5/14/11

The 7th annual Bluegrass From the Forest presents The Boxcars, Bluestone County, Northern Departure, The Blackberry Bushes, Sugar Pine, and host band Runaway Train. We were able to enjoy some of the best in bluegrass music in a great indoor theater atmosphere. There was camping onsite, band contests, a band scramble, a banjo contest, mandolin tasting, a youth program, vendors, and much more. Jamming space was available indoors, in the camping areas, and throughout the school campus grounds in addition to several special events.

The first group we heard was Sugar Pine – a group that jumps into the fray with both feet, mostly from the Portland area. Then we heard Bluestone County – If you have spent anytime at all around the NW bluegrass scene, you have probably run into one or more of these musicians as this group comes from the Mid-Willamette Valley. After them, we got to listen to The Blackberry Bushes – A high energy, soulful, Americana quartet. This group has remained true to their Ozark, Appalachian, and Mississippi River roots, and added just a twist of West Coast indie-rock.

Of course, what festival would be worth its weight in gold without some good food. This, of course, was no exception. Lynne, Dawn, and I all had the same thing, Supreme Hungarian Elephant Ears, yummo!

The headliner group – The Boxcars – They are one of the hottest bands on the bluegrass scene. The Boxcars are a quintet composed of serious players with big reputations. I sat in awe as I listened to each groups’ distinct sound, and while bluegrass may not be my first choice of music, I totally have a new appreciation for the sound, so much so I even bought a CD from The Boxcars. Now, off to listen to my new CD.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm on Strike!

In the past, when I drove by a picket line, I always thought it was all about the money. It wasn't until I was that person out on the pi...