Monday, July 7, 2014

Hike #7 - Triple Falls

As with many of us, there are many competing demands on my time. However, one of the great things about living in and around the Portland area is its proximity to stunning natural wonders. One of those is the magnificent gorge. Joined by Katrena this past Saturday, we went hiking to Triple Falls, just 45 minutes outside of the city.   

We met in Portland at 8:30 so as we could get an early start on it because we heard it was going to be warm.  Little did we know what we were about to embark on. I have gone on a few challenging hikes: Cascade Head, Mary's Peak, Tamolitch Falls, but this one by far was the most challenging for me.
I research each hike before I go to make sure I can handle the hike. On many of the hiking blogs, this particular hike was classified as an "easy" hike. Either we didn't go on the same hike, or I'm in a lot worse shape than I thought I was. This intermediate hike to Triple Falls, a distance of 4 to 5 miles roundtrip, provides stunning views and waterfalls from the get-go. The trail begins at Horsetail Falls off of the old highway in the Gorge, continuing on past Ponytail Falls, and then on up to Triple Falls. Along the way, you get some of the most breathtaking views of the Gorge.

The hike to Triple Falls can't make up its mind if it wants to be steep or flat. It keeps going back and forth. Starting from the Oneonta Tailhead, it parallels the old highway, then suddenly switches back and gains a couple of hundred feet all at once. Then it's flat, even downhill a bit, passing the junction where the Horsetail Falls Trail heads downhill to the Middle Oneonta Falls and the first Oneonta Creek Bridge. From here, the trail climbs to a pair of switchbacks as it traverses high above Oneonta Falls, also known as Upper Oneonta Falls. A short, sometimes sketchy scramble path angles down to the falls from the main trail, just below the switchbacks. The main trail meanders along the side of a ridge, staying well above the creek. You come around the corner and Triple Falls is in full view.





Hiking in was not easy, but we did it, bit the view was oh so worth it; however, for this hike, hiking out was much more difficult for me than the hike in was. I had several problems...hunger, dehydration, nausea, ear issues, etc. By the time we were done, I was sweating profusely. Those who know me, know I do not perspire, I sweat...a LOT, and my shirt was soaked, so wet I could have wrung it out. Thankfully, this time I remembered to bring an extra shirt and boy, was I glad I did...I changed it right in the open parking lot and I did NOT care.


Thanks SO much Katrena for indulging me and putting up with me...I promise the next hike will be an "easy" hike.   


1 comment:

I'm on Strike!

In the past, when I drove by a picket line, I always thought it was all about the money. It wasn't until I was that person out on the pi...