Thursday, July 24, 2014

Nicaragua, dia uno

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Before I tell you the highlights of our trip, my perceptions, my perspective...first I feel I must give a little background. Shortly before we left for Nicaragua, we had a short meeting. One of the things that was discussed was expectations. Expectations are key to happiness. We should NEVER get too attached to ideas, because attachments lead to expectations and expectations lead to disappointments. When we put down ideas of what things should be like, we are free to wholeheartedly say yes to what God has for us, and I am already seeing this in my own life. We as Americans have come to have certain expectations, and traveling internationally one comes to be reminded how small we truly are.

A couple of verses we were asked to ponder were:

James 1:19 - My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to anger. This truly should be our entry posture into our relationship with others. Hearing without truly listening causes pain.

Philippians 2:5-8 - In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death -- even death on a cross! We are NOT equal to God, even Jesus did not consider himself equal and if anybody had a right, he did. He (Jesus) became a servant, and he humbled himself by becoming obedient. Certainly, if he could do those things for me, how can I not do what I know he is calling me to.

Day 1 was a LONG and tiring day that began at 2:30 am since I had to be at the airport at 4 am for a 5:50 am flight. (I have to give a shout out to the Wolfers for driving me to the airport at O dark thirty.) The "group" as I will refer to us/them as, is an eclectic mix of folks and includes Pastor Jesse; his friend Paul who is going to investigate bringing somebody back to do an externship in his cabinet shop in the States, possibly opening a cabinet shop here in Nicaragua, or maybe both, the possibilities are endless; Pastor Pedro, his wife Maria, and baby Pedro Junior, or PJ; Isaac, Juan, Lisa, Brianna, and Jessica.

Unlike my last 2 flights, my flight into Houston as well as the one into Managua went off without  hitch. We had a 6 hour layover in Houston so while Pedro and Maria graciously offered to watch all our carry-on luggage, the rest of us divided into 2 groups and caught taxis to Deerbrook Mall. When the driver asked us where we were going, somebody said "the mall," and we was like which mall, so I told him to follow that taxi in front of us. I have always wanted to say that. You see it in the movies all the time. We thought that we would catch a movie and our last chance at coolness for a week. As soon as we got out of the taxi we knew we were not in Oregon anymore...the first clue...the 50% humidity and the 100 degree heat...yikes! Jesse laughingly told us that that was only a precursor of what was yet to come, and truer words have not been spoken. Okayn , those of you who truly know me, know I am not one for heat. In Tinaland, the perfect temperature would be 70 degrees, and if I have to be outside, even cooler. God knows this about me, and we are good with it :) I decided though when I committed to this trip that no matter how miserable the heat/humidity were for me, I was not going to complain, I was just going to sweat and boy do I mean sweat. That ugly, hot, miserable, sticky sweat that runs down your front, your back, your face, your neck...you cannot escape it, and I had not even arrived at my final destination. Sorry, I guess I got a bit sidetracked...There was not a movie that we all could agree on or had not already been seen so we decided to brace the hot/humid weather and walk across the highway and find some Texan BBQ; hence, the pulled pork baked potato, It was yummy but oh so big, I did not even eat half of it. After lunch, we headed back to the mall for a bit and then eventually back to the airport.

Another side note, not sure I was "TSA checked," but I never had to take my shoes off, empty a suitcase, or stand in line, I was ushered right past all that...awesome! When we boarded for Managua, I was told as I was boarding the plane that I had to leave it just outside the plane and somebody would take it and load it underneath as it was too large. I tried to explain that they let me carry it on from Portland to Houston and never questioned it, but all he kept saying was "es muy grande." I had fears of my carryon not making it to Managua with me. In it was everything I thought I would need for a week away from home except the important stuff, like my camera. I am pretty sure I would part with my clothes though before my camera. I felt a sense of relief as I saw the bag make its way up the conveyor belt. I have not traveled out of the country much, but I feel customs is always a challenge. With as many in our group as there were, we did pretty well. Well, that is until the end of the line...Pastor Jesse and Pastor Pedro got called out to have bags searched, the two pastors...too funny! Their bags were searched, and they found flipflops and purses.  The flipflops were confiscated, but they were allowed to keep the purses.

We met up with Hannah and some men from Pastor Pedro's church, who came to take us to Leon. They had a very large passenger van and another smaller vehicle to get 18 of us in, including those who came to greet and pick us up. Most of our luggage was tied atop the big van so it was pretty funny because several times in the near 2 hour drive to Leon, we had to pull over and Larry (from Pastor Pedro's church) would climb up and make sure everything was attached. We finally arrived at our hotel, La Posada del Doctor, at about midnight. The hotel is very quaint. Its accommodations are humble but meet your needs. I was thankful for a bed and AC as it truly was a hot, LONG and tiring day.

3 comments:

  1. Excellent account of the day. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Tina... I can feel the heat by how you describe it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your day. It's different weather here than in Nica...but it's all good. I don't complain about the heat any more since I was there last year. We have much cooler houses here than there, even without a/c! Hugs and on to read more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete

I'm on Strike!

In the past, when I drove by a picket line, I always thought it was all about the money. It wasn't until I was that person out on the pi...